ocba - Re: [ocba] Swarm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: "gwahlers1.excite" <gwahlers1 AT excite.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Swarm
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:35:18 -0400

I don't think you're very lucky. You just lost about 1/2 of your bees, and a lot of production, but you did gain a new queen, assuming she made it back from her mating flight. If she didn't you have another problem. She may or may not be better than the old one. 60' up in a tree? Hope you have a tall ladder or cherry picker (they can be rented) if you want to capture. When they take off they may inhabit the wall of your house or those of your neighbor. If the latter, claim they're not yours.

Get a copy of /The Hive and the Honeybee/ or go on the net and look up swarm prevention. Rather than letting them swarm make a split.

Tom

gwahlers1.excite wrote:
I just watch my bees swarm and land about 60' up in a tree. Am I lucky or
what? Gary