ocba - [ocba] quiet after split

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] quiet after split
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:40:47 -0400

OK, so we made a split and it all went well. The original hive is very active and, I assume, making themselves a new queen. The new hive, with the old queen, is very quiet. I have not seen more than 2 bees go in and out it since we made the split 3 days ago, and I have spent WAY too much time looking. Yesterday I couldn't stand it any more and opened the hive. They look fine. I didn't pull frames to see if the queen was laying, but the bees' behavior was appropriate. Can they just be setting their new home to rights before venturing forth? Are they waiting for some of their bees to mature into foragers? Any ideas ideas on what's up? Thank you.  -Signed --  Worried in Carrboro
--
Elisabeth