ocba - Re: [ocba] Splitting a hive to deal with a bad queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Joe Rudek <jrudek AT edf.org>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Splitting a hive to deal with a bad queen
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:49:30 -0400

That will work but you will lose some production while they raise a new queen and she mates and return. They will raise several queen. When the first returns, she will kill those that have not emerged. If she doesn't return, the cycle will repeat. Of course, you should be sure that a queen is not present. Be sure there are no purple martins around. They are Hell on drone leks and virgin queens, as are chimney swifts and swallows, but not much you can do about them.

Tom

Joe Rudek wrote:

One of our hives is performing very well and the other is not. The poor hive has only a few capped brood which may be drones and only a scattering of larvae. Couldn’t see eggs but it was late in the day and the light was not good. Assuming the queen is bad, we are considering taking a frame with eggs from the good hive and putting it in the poor hive. I know we need to be sure there is no queen. But I am wondering if a queen reared in the hive at this time of year can be expected to successfully mate and get the hive back on the right path.

Thank you,

Joe

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.