ocba - [ocba] Splitting a hive to deal with a bad queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Joe Rudek <jrudek AT edf.org>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Splitting a hive to deal with a bad queen
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:35:40 -0400

One of our hives is performing very well and the other is not.  The poor hive has only a few capped brood which may be drones and only a scattering of larvae.  Couldn’t see eggs but it was late in the day and the light was not good.  Assuming the queen is bad, we are considering taking a frame with eggs from the good hive and putting it in the poor hive.  I know we need to be sure there is no queen.  But I am wondering if a queen reared in the hive at this time of year can be expected to successfully mate and get the hive back on the right path.

Thank you,

Joe

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.