ocba - Re: [ocba] Hello the list!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hello the list!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:34:10 -0400

Hi all,

More "newbee" updates.

My co-keeper with the sting behind her ear turned out not to be allergic at all, but rather had an ear infection.  The sting swelling went down, but her symptoms got worse.  She actually burst both eardrums the day after wrote my original message, and while she's recovering, she says she can still hear the bees buzzing in her tinnitus.

The queen was released after three days, and I also removed some burr comb at that time.  Since then, the girls have been incredibly busy.  They socked away 1.5 gallons of sugar syrup and also drew out 9 frames of foundation with beautiful new wax, in 7 days flat! I just gave them the second deep yesterday, so they should be set for a little while.  I've taken the feeder off now, but will check to make sure they are bringing in nectar to replace the sugar water.  I was using a Miller top feeder and I love it - only 4 or 5 bees lost, and it didn't attract robbers.

The last time we checked we also saw the queen, as well as quite a few eggs, though at the time she seemed to have run out of empty cells, being crowded by the mass amounts of sugar syrup being stored (hence the second deep).  Hoping to see capped brood and more eggs next time I look.

Cheers,
Catherine