ocba - [ocba] large file

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] large file
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:28:02 -0400

To ocba listserve
Sorry for the large file, Following is the same information without the large photo

to OCBA LISTSERVE:
The State Fair provides us with three great opportunities.  One is to compete against other beekeepers and learn more about what is prized in beekeeping.  Two is to reach out to the broader community and share our passion about bees with a public that often fears and misunderstands them.  Many new beekeepers come to it through exposure at a state fair.  Three, we have an opportunity to come together as a club and work together on a display booth.  Last year was my first time being involved in the process.  We had a great fair czar, Connie Harrelson, who led us with her beautiful vision of the creative side of beekeeping.  We won first prize and best in show.
This year I would like to run for fair czar with the idea of allowing the public to glimpse what it is like to become a beekeeper.  I would like our theme to be “My first Year as a Beekeeper”.
The display booth consists of a square area of floor with 3 shelves and a backdrop.  My idea is that each level would represent a season and the primary activities of that time.  I would like to see lots of people get involved, so we could have 4 groups each coordinating a separate level.  This would eliminate lots of excess meetings.  Last year many people brought items for display and many people came out to the shop to make things out of wax.  We pulled everything together at the last meeting before the fair and a few people went over to put it up and take it down.
To everyone who participated last year, especially Connie, Thank You.  It was beautiful.
To all the new beekeepers and everyone else, please think about getting involved this year.  Take lots of pictures of you and your bees.  We will keep talking about this at upcoming meetings, so let me know if you think this is the way to go or if you have a different idea for our booth.  My main goal is to have lots of people involved and have lots of fun.
State Fair 2010 Proposal
“My first Year as a Beekeeper”

Bottom Level: WINTER
Categories:
1st year: Bee School
plants: Red Maple, Prunus, Mahonia
Work: Prep equipment, boxes etc..
Bees: Ball stasis, cleansing flights

First Shelf: SPRING

1st year: Packages and nuks
Plants: Tulip Poplar, Ilex,
Work: getting to know your bees
Bees: new queens, population growth, foraging

Second Level: SUMMER

1st year: Observing plants and bees and honey production
Plants: Sourwood, Sumac
Work: Harvesting Honey, Wax etc.. products of the Hive
Bees: population leveling off, mite population,

Upper Level: FALL

1st year: Getting hives ready for winter
Plants: Asters, Goldenrods, Salvias
Work: IPM disease and pest management
Bees: limiting drones, drop in pop., honey stores for winter

Thanks
geneva
475 7668

ps.  I also have an idea for a honey bee sensorium, if anyone is feeling inspired and owns some power tools.

$13/Month Car Insurance?
Insurance deal just passed now allows you to get car insurance for $13
GoGetAutoInsurance.com

  • [ocba] large file, Geneva, 04/13/2010