ocba - Re: [ocba] Hive in bad shape

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Jane Flannelly <soggydollarbar AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hive in bad shape
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:31:53 -0500

I peeked in my quiet hive too, no one has been flying during the last warm spell, and the bees that were left inside, about 200, were all dead, seem to be newly deceased as they were as fluffy whole, not deteriorated at all...I too had lots of honey and pollen in the upper hive body, not a single sign of any brood.... the neighboring hive is doing well, flying today so I gave them sugar water, but it is only a single hive body. The other one was two hive bodies that had had two supers on top in the summer due to bearding and seemingly very crowded, until I added the supers and then seemed just fine....I took the supers off in the late fall thinking it was too much for them to keep warm, there was nothing really up there, they really had barely started to draw out the comb.  I too am anxious for reply's, what could have happened?  My queen was there and lots of brood at the late fall check. I have brought the hive body with the honey into the garage to keep bugs out.  No sign of those moths, it just looks deserted, like a bee ghost town.
Things I am thinking, should I have had an inside feeder for winter, should I have opened up the hive during the winter to see if the queen was still there, seemed too cold for that...so many questions....
Jane Flannelly
Hillsborough,North Carolina

soggydollarbar AT hotmail.com

i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD