ocba - Re: [ocba] building screened bottom board question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] building screened bottom board question
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:11:19 -0500

Agree with Lewis. Apiece of paneling is handy for closing the screen. It should be closed in really cold weather, below freezing to retain heat in the hive.

Tom

Lewis Cauble wrote:
Alicia,
I was looking at the beesource plans. The slot for inserting the removable bottom panel comes in handy for monitoring mite drops. Closing off the screen is also required for some treatments like MiteAway. As an alternative, you can simply slide something in the hive on top of the screen to block it off during treatment.

I'll bring an example Thursday night of another simple way to do this.

I think the extra part you are seeing that fully closes off the entrance is actually the back and not the front.

The hardware mesh can sometimes be hard to find around town. Tell me what size you want and I'll bring you a piece.

Cheers,

Lewis