ocba - [ocba] building screened bottom board question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] building screened bottom board question
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:25:57 -0500

Hello! I am new to beekeeping, I'm taking the class right now. I'm building my first hive, and wonder if anyone can advise me about building a screened bottom board. Can I just build the regular board and cut the center out, attach hardware mesh, and use that?

The beesource website includes other plans that are more complicated, and show a separate slot to insert a second board under the meshed board. It is 3" tall instead of the regular 17/8" bottom boards. Is extra space under there a concern? It also shows inserting extra pieces at the entrance to fully seal it off. It seems overly complicated.

Thanks for your help!

-Alicia