ocba - Re: [ocba] Is this normal?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Is this normal?
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:39:26 -0400

Lizzy and Seth,
I'm no expert, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I'd say inspect the hives to make sure all is well inside. Make sure each colony has a laying queen with room to lay, enough food, and enough bees. If all is good there, I'd say you are fine.

My bees that are in the full afternoon sun and don't have quite enough ventilation will beard up pretty good in the late afternoon. Also I noticed that after robbing some hives a few weeks ago, I had loads of bees hanging out the front. I took away 2 supers worth of space, and there probably just wasn't enough room for everyone at that point. Things seem to be getting better now. Make sure your girls have enough room.

Outside of that, I'd say they are just bored and hanging out with nothing to do. If that's the case, give them some foundation that they can draw out for you. Idle hands...

Maybe others will chime in with more free advice.

Lewis