ocba - [ocba] OCBA Update

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Update
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:59:12 -0400

Hello Beekeepers,
Just wanted to check in with a couple of things.

Don't forget that our field day is scheduled for Saturday morning, June 13th. We will be at Busy Bee where Jack and Betsy will show us the ins and outs of queen rearing. Also, Master Beekeeper John Wallace will be available to administer practical exams for Certified and Journeyman beekeepers.

Jack and Betsy will also be with us at our regular meeting this month with their queen rearing presentation. That's Thursday, June 11 at our regular place in Hillsborough.

The NCSBA meeting in Wilkesboro will be happening during our regular meeting in July, so we will be taking the month off. No meeting in July.

Two weeks ago, an intrepid crew gathered at my shop to remove some bees from a tree that I had there. John Harrell and his daughter Allison, new beekeeper Rhonda Jones, Marc Zylka from the Caswell Beekeepers, Geneva, and myself suited up and went at it. We gathered the usual beekeeping stuff like a smoker, suit, hive tool, frames. On top of that we added a few other tools like a chainsaw, a sledge hammer, a maul, and a vacuum cleaner. We threw our usual beekeeping finesse out the window and went medieval on them. They returned the favor. Everyone was stung at least once.

Anyway, we split the tree open, removed the comb and vacuumed the bees. Brood comb was tied in to frames and most of the honey went in to a bucket. We put the frames in a hive, dumped the bees in, threw a feeder on, and left the honey bucket out for them to reclaim. They cleaned it up in about 2 or 3 days.

Marc and I inspected the hive today and I am happy to report that the queen is laying and the bees are busy filling in the pieces of comb that we tied in to frames. We threw another batch of food on them and we expect that they are going to be fine. Rhonda has some pictures of the adventure posted on her blog. http://personalphotos.iloverumcake.com/GalleryThumbnails.aspx?gallery=202498

On Sunday (tomorrow, the 31st), Geneva, Angie, and Connie will be tackling a cut out on Rogers Rd in Chapel Hill. I'm not exactly sure what the address is but I believe the meeting time is 2 PM. Let me know if you would like to come by and I'll get some more details.

Next weekend, Geneva and I will be extracting honey in Cedar Grove. I expect that we will be tackling between 8 and 11 supers with at least one if not 2 borrowed extractors. We've never extracted this much honey before, so we'll be figuring it out as we go. Come join us if you need a good laugh.

Cheers,

Click to get affordable Health Insurance.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYVwPse7knc9EfIGPUWMlC5NGqsAWrOTmnSYvDGMkrBweZJe5f1uEo/

  • [ocba] OCBA Update, Lewis Cauble, 05/30/2009