ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees in Hunting Lodge

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees in Hunting Lodge
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:48:28 -0500

This brings up something interesting. In MS we kept getting swarm calls in locations remote from any known beekeepers. There were two theories to explain this.

First, feral bees were developing Varroa resistance.

Second, A feral colony lasted just long enough to spin off a swarm or two and these swarmed again before dying off.

Either, or neither, could be correct.

I wonder if anyone is looking into this?

Tom

Lewis Cauble wrote:
I dropped by the old hunting lodge house in southern Caswell county on friday to see if the bees that we were considering removing for our field day were still there. It was warm on friday morning, but I saw no indication that the bees had survived the winter. I watched for about 10 minutes and none came or went. I'll try again on a warmer and sunnier day, but I think we may be skunked.

I've been considering installing a package in a wall of my old shed. I'd let them build up for a few weeks, then we could take them out and hive them for the field day. It might be a silly idea, but it also may offer a more controlled sort of atmosphere for this sort of activity. Any ideas/comments?

Cheers,