ocba - [ocba] [Fwd: bee swarm]

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Becky Bollinger <beckyalis AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] [Fwd: bee swarm]
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:50:36 -0400

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: "J Hoke" <jahdds AT jameshokedds.com>
  • To: <beckyalis AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: <eva.hoke AT duke.edu>
  • Subject: bee swarm
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:56:10 -0400

I went by the Lakewood address in Durham and checked out the “swarm.”  It was beginning to rain, so difficult to analyze completely, but here is what I found:

Bees are about 18-20 feet up in a large tree, covered by ivy.(not poison ivy, near as I could tell).  They appear to be entering an opening into a hollow in the crotch of the trunk where it divides.  I think it would be difficult to retrieve them, but maybe a bee vac would work.  I suggested to the owner that they just leave them alone because they are up so high.  However, there is a second story deck close to the tree, so they are concerned.  Bees just appeared over the weekend.

There might be someone else interested, who has a longer ladder and a bee vac.  Circulate this around, please, and have anyone who is interested in checking it out further to give me a call. (345-0168)   or email me (jahdds AT jameshokedds.com or jahoke AT nc.rr.com).  I told the owner I’d check around and let her know if anyone else is interested.  If not, she’ll probably exterminate them (bummer!).

Jim

The information contained in this email message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipients named above.  This may be a communication which, as such, is priviledged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by phone. Thank you.

--- End Message ---