ocba - [ocba] how much bee feed?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mike AT argosyfarm.com
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] how much bee feed?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:43:03 -0700

Hi, We are brand new to beekeeping. We have two hives, currently consisting of one medium 8 frame hive body each. Each hive started off with 3lbs of bees on April 5th. We're feeding them sugar water mixed more or less 1:1 via some jar type entrance feeders. Initially, each hive was going through roughly a pint per day. Currently, one hive is going through 1 quart per day, and the other is going through about 2/3 quart per day. We had anticipated that as things started to bloom the bees would consume less sugar water, not more, yet they're going through it at what to us seems like an amazing pace. They're building like crazy in there, but to date each hive has only started filling in 4 of the frames, so we've not yet added more vertical expansion space, though they are trying to glue the roof down. What's "normal" feed consumption at this stage? Should we keep feeding them all they want, or should we start weaning them off the sugar water at this time of year?

Thanks,
Mike Swaim