ocba - Re: [ocba] help - hive has swarmed

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Elisabeth Curtis" <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: twright AT vicksburg.com, "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] help - hive has swarmed
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:50:06 -0400

The swarm moved. Now it's clustered around the base of an azalea bush.

On 3/23/07, Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com> wrote:
Elisabeth Curtis wrote:
OK, One of our 2 hives has swarmed. Now what? It's about 20 feet up in a tree near the hive. We don't have anything to capture or put them in. Is there anyone out there who could help? We are about 2-3 miles north of Carroboro off Hillsborough Road. -Elisabeth Curtis

You are obviously going to need an extension ladder. Try capturing in a cardboard box (don't try to take hive up ladder) and then put in hive. If you're short of equipment do the newspaper trick with an existing hive. Thomas may be able to help.

Of course, the best solution is swarm prevention.

You might consider a decoy hive with queen pheromone.

Tom