ocba - [ocba] Minutes of 5-11-06 OCBA Meeting

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "G. Blake Alexander, O.D." <baiiii AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Minutes of 5-11-06 OCBA Meeting
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:15:43 -0400

Our meeting was called to order promptly at 7:30 pm by president Eva Hoke.
Blake Alexander introduced a new beekeeper to the group: Donald Cornish of Chapel Hill joined the OCBA and recently finished the Alamance Beekeeping Course taught by Don Moore and Ken Pipes. Some of our other members also took the course this time. Mr. Cornish has two new hives that are doing well.
Members introduced themselves and spoke of their honey production. We also had a visitor from Rockingham who has at least 45 hives. He turned out to be our speaker for the evening.
Attendance sheet showed 26 people present.
Treasurers Report indicated $1,960.50 in our account.
Reminders told us that there are at least two extractors available for loan: One from Jack Tapp and the other from Tom Wright.
Sleigh Open House scheduled for 6-10-2006 at a Lavender Farm has offered us space at the event to set up and sell honey and/or other bee products--contact Eva Hoke (president) for details.
A committee was formed to make up a brochure to tell others about our organization. Tom Wright volunteered and would welcome others to assist in this project.
The ZOO project was discussed, led by Gayle Young urging us to get out and sell more chances on the drawing for the "Gator"--name to be drawn at the State Fair this year.
Charles Fleckenstein was presented with a 50,000 T-SHIRT for his recent contribution
Zack and Eli Lamb volunteered to take several tickets for the Gator prize.
Photos for the calender were discussed.
A Saturday Field Trip on 6-17-06 will take the place of our next regular meeting:
Breakfast at 8:30, followed by visits to Pete Peters and Jeff & Becky Bolingers yards, and after lunch (paid for by The OCBA) we will visit Jeff Lees place in Mebane.
Orchard (Blue) Mason Bees were mentioned and a source for nest kits offered. There are several books out on the subject are available.
Frank Wyatt from Rockingham was the speaker on "Hive Nutrition". For a productive hive, the bees need Protein (pollen), Carbohydrates (nectar), and Water. Also amino acids, trace minerals, lipids, salts, and vitamins. Royal Jelly is fed to the young larvae, the queen, and young workers. Protein needs decrease when older bees begin foraging.Yeast and Soy Flour are used to make a pollen substitute but is not as effective as the real thing.
Brewers Yeast has known to have some benefit however.
Pollen is best given to the hives in very early spring along with extra food. This can produce a jump-start in hive production plus a possible three weeks added to the bees life.
Drones in the hive can be a barometer for how well the bees are doing: If Adult-Pupa-Larva-and Eggs are all present, the bees have sufficient pollen. If you see Adult-Pupa- and eggs only, there is a shortage of pollen. If you see Adults only, there has been a pollen shortage for at least 7 days. I you see none of the stages of the drone, the pollen shortage has been present for 2 to 4 weeks.
Pest Stress can also affect (lower) pollen levels.
The speakers personal recommendations-year round: Pollen patties as needed--3 to 5 frames of pollen per hive--and monitor Drone levels as described above. Mr. Wyatt passed around pictures and informed us that he represents a Canadian company that sells real "treated" pollen patties. His e-mail is wytgrp AT netpath-rc.net. He also passed out sheets describing how to apply pollen to the hives.
Nance Fleckenstein and Wilson Lamb won prizes given by the speaker.
Happy provided excellent refreshments.

Best,
Blake Alexander (temporary minutes taker)

  • [ocba] Minutes of 5-11-06 OCBA Meeting, G. Blake Alexander, O.D., 05/13/2006