ocba - Re: [ocba] November 17 Orange Co. Beekeepers Meeting

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "A list for the Orange County Beekeepers Association" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] November 17 Orange Co. Beekeepers Meeting
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:08:29 -0500

Good luck,
Wilson&Camilla
----- Original Message ----- From: "G. Blake Alexander, O.D." <baiiii AT bellsouth.net>
To: "A list for the Orange County Beekeepers Association" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:41 PM

OCBA: Sorry to miss the meeting. In hospital for new knees. Have fun!
Best,
Blake

Jim Hoke wrote:

* *

*The next meeting of the **Orange** **County** Beekeepers Club is this
Thursday, Nov. 17 at **7:30 pm**.*

The program will be presented by Jack Tapp who will present and
discuss a video made by Iowa Public Broadcasting about beekeeping in
North Carolina.

We will also make hand rolled beeswax candles. Each member will make 2
candles at no charge. Additional candle materials can be purchased for
$1.00 per pair.

Finally, come prepared to give your Fall “Bee Report.” We’ll compare
with our “Spring Bee Report” from the April meeting.

Information to report: # of existing viable hives; # of hives that
have died since last report; mites a problem? beetles?;

Fall treatment done (if so, what). Quantity of honey collected?

CALENDARS ARE AVAILABLE!

The Club has purchased one hundred 2006 OCBA calendars with
photographs submitted by Club members. Christmas is 6 weeks away -- please come prepared to purchase 5 or more calendars --- the “perfect
Christmas gift.” These calendars will be yesterday’s news by January
15, so please consider how many you can present to your special
friends. Remember, proceeds will be given to the beekeeping exhibit at
the NC Zoological Gardens. We have 80 Calendars left after giving each
paid member a calendar. If we can sell the remaining 80, we’ll have
$400 for the Zoo project.

* *

*Minutes of October meeting:*

The October meeting was held on October 19, 2005, presided by
President Eva Hoke.

19 members and guests were present

*Old Business:*

David Langham, Eva Hoke, Jeff Lee, Will Hicks and Don Hopkins made a
presentation on beekeeping to a group of docents at the NC Botanical
Garden in Chapel Hill which was well received.

State Fair is going on now. A number of members have volunteered to
help at the NC Beekeepers booth, including Tom Wright, Gayle Young,
Jeff and Becky Bollinger, Eva and Jim Hoke. Tom Wright reported that
he has already worked in the booth and had a lot of fun doing so.

Peggy Loddenguard said that this meeting would be the last opportunity
for members to purchase raffle tickets for the John Deere lawn
tractor. Proceeds will go to the Zoo Fund.

December’s Holiday Party will be on our regular meeting night,
December 15, beginning at 6:30 (NOTE THE CHANGE IN START TIME) There
will be an optional gift exchange ($10 minimum) and pot luck supper –
details at the November meeting.

* *

*Change in meeting day*: Beginning in January, the meeting day will be
changed to the *2^nd Tuesday* each month.

This was changed to permit members to attend other county meetings,
most of which are held on the 3^rd Thursday.

*New Business:*

Election of 2006 officers was conducted by Lanette and John Fee.

Officers for 2006 are: Eva Hoke, President

David Langham and Tom Wright, Co Vice-President/program chairs

Secretary, Becky Bollinger

Treasurer, Lanette Fee

Refreshments for the November meeting: Wilson and Eli Wilson

Report on Bee hive giveaway program:

Bob Alberson reported his Italian hive is doing much better than his
(dead) Russian hive.

Charlie Peters reported just the opposite.

Don Hopkins, State Bee Inspector, commented that the results are mixed
so far and are inconclusive at this point.

Don went on to respond to treatment options for Varian mites: no clear
cut answer, as the mites build resistance quickly to any chemical
treatment. Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is the best approach. This
will be different for each beekeeper, but hives should be tested pre-
and post- treatment to know if a particular treatment is working for
that hive.

*Program: *

Don Hopkins presented an informative and entertaining program,
complete with slides, of his trips to Bolivia to observe and assist
beekeepers there.