nafex - Re: [nafex] Wild Peach Seed

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Wild Peach Seed
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 22:27:03 -0400

On 5/17/2017 8:45 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
The down side of this transaction is that the Hong Kong people who sent them
to me avoided U.S. inspection by lying about the contents. Just in case the
seeds brought some unwanted surprise, I soaked them in bleach - now I hope
they germinate.
I hate to tell you this but soaking them in bleach will not take care of the sharka of virus, if they come from a region where sharka exists. As I understand that it will be in the cotyledon's flesh and the seedling would be infected. The last time sharka was brought into the US maybe 15 or 20 years ago USDA spent millions of dollars to eradicate it as it would be devastating to the commercial Prunus industry. To bring it into this country legally you would 1st need to get an import permit and then it would go to Beltsville for greenhouse testing and then if it tests free of any injurious disease it would be released to you for quarantine growing for a minimum of 2 more years. But I feel quite strongly you would not even be able to get an import permit to begin with. Sharka I believe is one of the most USDA feared plant viruses.