nafex - Re: [nafex] "Indian peach" seeds

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: Henry <treehugger53ah@yahoo.com>, <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "Indian peach" seeds
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 09:22:50 -0400

The Indians grew peaches over a wide area of North America, and there have been several "Indian Peach" cultivars and lines
brought to notice over the years. You may find a discussion in "The Peaches of New York" by Hedrick.

Peach growers in the Niagara Peninsula favour "Bailey" seedlings for rootstock; this is an old Indian peach from Iowa;
there are several selections of widely varying fruit quality. Apparently it's not particularly early to harden off.

"Siberian C", "Chui Lum Tao", and "Tzim Pee Tao" are hardier but not so generally satisfactory as rootstocks in this area.

I think that Minneapolis would be pushing it a little too far for the available peach genetic material through test winters, even selecting the hardiest seedlings. However, apparently some peaches survive most winters in Minneapolis in protected locations.

Some Manchurian apricot selections are hardy on the southern Canadian prairies although some have dormancy problems, and the Morden station of Agriculture Canada in southwestern Manitoba bred "Morden 604" and "Westcot"; crosses between P. mandschurica and P. armenaica. Regular bearing should not be expected. Apricots like peaches prefer light well-drained soils.

It might be more rewarding to try the hardy plums and cherryplums in Minneapolis. The state extension service should have some recommendations. Yakima (Prunus domestica) plum is reported shy bearing but big, high-quality and semi-hardy at Minneapolis. I read that Krikon Damson from Sweden ("krikon" means damson in Swedish) is hardy at Minneapolis; a little hardier than Mount Royal.

See
<http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/stone-fruit-for-minnesota-gardens/#about>

You might find some useful information at
http://www.fruit.usask.ca

Have a look at
<http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1493505/advice-on-northern-peach-growing>
and