nafex - Re: [nafex] Saving cherries from the birds (Good Fruit Grower)

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Saving cherries from the birds (Good Fruit Grower)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:35:03 -0500

Maybe red beads would work even for the black fruit.

I heard that red and black fruit have different seed dispersal strategies.
Red fruit are obviously very showy, attracting all the fruit-eaters. Black
fruit target only the local birds, not the ones that are just passing
through, by turning red and conspicuous before they're ripe, so local animals
make a mental note to come back for them later. Then when they ripen, they
turn inconspicuously black, so only the animals that are in-the-know can find
them. This ensures that the seeds are dropped somewhat locally, where they
are adapted.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I can't think of a different
explanation for why any plant would have fruit that are inconspicuous when
ripe.

Melissa

Sent from my iPhone (pardon my brevity).