nafex - Re: [nafex] [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 09:46:12 -0500

I have had excellent results in southeast Texas stacking grapes—both
muscadines and Euro-American hybrid bunch grapes on 8-10 ft trellis wires,
with blackberries staked and topped at 5 feet underneath and sweet potato
spinach understorried below the blackberries. The sweet potato ground cover
was suggested by Bill Mollison in a conversation in the early nineties and it
works well. The grapes here do not get much in the way of leaves until most
of the spring blackberry fruiting is done, and the sweet potato spinach dose
not need a lot of light.

Sweet potato spinach is a relatively little know sweet potato cultivar with
inedible roots that do well in soils that ordinary sweet potatoes do poorly
in. It is popular here in Asian communities and like all sweets, is easily
reproduced from cuttings.

Bob Randall
Houston