nafex - Re: [nafex] Fru Dagmar Hastrup (aka Frau Dagmar Hartopp) rosa rugosa

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fru Dagmar Hastrup (aka Frau Dagmar Hartopp) rosa rugosa
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 20:26:00 -0400

Comparison:
Rosa canina- grown in NC with minimal irrigation - excellent volume fruit production, medium size oblong hips, not much 'fruit' per hip, but certainly present and good flavor.

Fru Dagmar Hastrup- grown in Washington state west of the Cascades. Irrigation unknown. Good volume fruit production, very large round hips, fruit succulent and more flesh (fruit) per hip, excellent flavor.

The Washington plants may get more water, I do not know, I was visiting the planting, but it would explain the juicy textured fruit. The fruit texture may also be explained by degree of ripeness. The birds tend to pick off my ripe R. canina, whereas the Fru Dagmar Hastrup fruits were in a more urban environment and there may have been fewer birds around.

One of my challenges has been how to move beyond rosehips as a nibble treat and really figure out how to harvest the flesh from the seeds.

Any tips?

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC