nafex - [nafex] Hubbardston & Red Apples

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Hubbardston & Red Apples
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 15:59:11 +0000

Murph asked about any red apples.
I got a first crop of Lord Lambourne this fall and am quite impressed. Large,
red, juicy, sweet/tart, some aroma and reports are they keep 6-8 weeks. There
aren't have enough to prove that this season. I have it on Bud9 and realized
after the fact that was a mistake, for Lord Lambourne seems to grow to modest
dimensions. I'll probably dig it up and bury the graft union so it can become
a standard -- ten feet? It is a partial tip bearer, so will need light
pruning each year to direct growth.
More days above 90F last summer than ever before, with humidity often 12% in
Spokane, WA. No problem with this apple. Can't say that about another English
apple I'd tried, Queen Cox, which is a bud sport of Cox Orange Pippin. that
shrivelled into leafy crisps as soon as the heat came on and the fruit was
terrible, year by year.
I've tasted King David: wonderful! It is supposed to be very resistant to
disease and vigorous, but I haven't grown it.

Have you looked into Beacon? It is early, hardy (very), deeply red out West,
sweet and has a floral aroma I liken to lilac or sweet Alyssum. Got to taste
a bagfull last year and am trying to start one for a friend.

Dave Liezen

  • [nafex] Hubbardston & Red Apples, david liezen, 09/26/2014