nafex - [nafex] kiwi trellis alternatives

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] kiwi trellis alternatives
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:45:58 -0700

Maybe its because my kiwis are just starting to bear, but I'm so far
convinced that I can't have too many hardy kiwis. The only problem is that
trellises require time and money to build, and intensive management to boot.
I have several kiwis on an rustic locust overhead t-bar trellis that I built,
and that is well and good, but I'm out of room and would like to plant more
varieties. So I've been thinking off and on about trellis alternatives. Two
ideas seem like workable compromises to me:

1. Allow them to ramble up a large shrub or small tree. Big trees are out of
the question because, among other things, fruit will be out of reach. Not
going there. But a small fast growing spherical formed tree seems promising.
I came home from a scion swap with boku cuttings of amazing fantail willow.
It seems to meet all of the necessary criteria I can envision, growing
quickly to a height and breadth of 12 ft. or so (I think), perhaps less so
when doing battle with vigorous arguta vines. Growing quickly and easily from
cuttings means I needn't put around with establishment, at which point I
might as well go ahead and build a trellis. I have need of a windbreak, and
intend to test this theoretical system there. If it works as well as I
imagine it (on the best days that is) the kiwis will fruit out the perimeter
of the fantail willow with minimal fussing, and if nothing else, the dense
tangled growth will make a much better windbreak.

2. The second idea is actually stolen-- I saw this being done (though
accidentally) at a local orchard. The aforementioned orchard put in a
sizeable arguta kiwi patch, but neglected to build trellises for many years.
Most rambled along the ground, clambering up brambles that grew in the rows.
In short, it was a total mess. But one happened to have been planted next to
a single pole perhaps 8 ft. tall. This one vine, as you might imagine,
climbed the pole, but having reached the top assumed a round form almost like
a pom pom. It was probably 8 ft in diameter, tendrils reaching nearly to the
ground, and was absolutely festooned with fruit. These fruits occurred only
on the very outside of the sphere, mind you, but there were an unbelievable
number of them. I was saddened to learn upon returning a couple years hence
that the entire planting had been removed to make way for more apples. I
guess it had been planted in a frost pocket and so frequently failed
to produce. Still the image of that one perfect kiwi covered pom pom has
stuck with me.

I understand that there are several disadvantages to doing things this way.
Pruning will be made much more difficult, and picking somewhat more so. The
leaves of the fantail willow may nearly preclude fruiting altogether, though
maybe less so with a kolomikta. I think the pole idea has real merit, and
though I've yet to hear of anyone actually doing it on purpose, I know that
it can work. The key with the pole idea, it seems to me, is to make sure that
they are spaced widely enough and far enough from things to potentially
climb, that they instead just make a big messy ball. Any thoughts or
experiences.

-Devin Smith
Rockingham, VT
>From qazingulaza@gmail.com Wed Jul 2 22:04:11 2014
h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date
:content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to;
bh=eFp+LrSyVxqaG5LUbxlotfjUrVu5etvVrlIXhflA960=;
b=j3zyGLtOa3F3sOVCUmH5EfZmYwWiVmHVTAd0YhqUXLWxKJZCRAPe8qu5UL694j0no/
02ZbSjBTPMSzmYvF5RrH/3g5ODiSTc2+AU0XhxXeZkjgD5ofKeLB6L8a6KVk0re5CWIU
NF4BjgP9X8cM3Rq0FNpOJENNp8HFDx1LTQhLblH0EmD4h4oWiUfDJxCkR7/ylILZnuvH
t/dRYuzOvQOc3lHWs4RV0ZE6DR0ja2L17TWJAOrRwizrRqIJ/osNV676jp8WNQzUM+Iw
yyoZumkbR/910RnpPtuZiSJ+8Z1LgoLTyUUEL+d/OA9hNl8Ac5NoOtySyYL5N7QEPxO+
Vk+w==