nafex - Re: [nafex] OT a bit- Saving hybrid seed (corn)

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] OT a bit- Saving hybrid seed (corn)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 22:30:41 -0600

No I am not planning to go commercial, so I probably will not have to do
time for plant patent infringement.

What attracts me to the Tuxedo is smut resistance in a sweet corn that it
is not white, does have good flavor, good tip cover and a good sized ear.

I was planning to save maybe 3 ears out of the approximately 100 plants in
my garden this year. It is too late to do another variety along with it.
If I understand single seed descent.. three ears is not it. Now If the
tuxedo develops any smut this year.. I am not saving a single seed. (and I
will be saved from a life of crime)

I have been trying to find other smut resistant non-white, tasty sweet corn
varieties. So far I have found these but I am not sure I can actually get
the seed.

Sweet Rhythm (HMX 3354BES) - Breeder: T.Natti. Vendor: Harris Moran.
Characteristics: 70 day maturity, bicolor, dark green attractive husk, 7.5"
ears, 16-18 rows, very good eating quality, has se and shrunken-2 endosperm
on the ear, good seedling vigor. Resistance: tolerance to stewarts wilt,
common smut. Similar: Seneca Brave.

Sweet Symphony (HMX2349BES) - Breeder: T.Natti. Vendor: Harris Moran.
Characteristics: 75 day maturity, bicolor, good husk cover, fair flag
leaves, light green color, 7-7.5" ears, good tip fill, sometimes a small
tassel tip, good sweetness and flavor with se and shrunken-2 kernels.
Resistance: tolerance to common smut, stewarts wilt. Similar: Harmony.

The Tuxedo is in England.

If I would cross next year, It would be a non-white good sized tasty sweet
corn without the smut resistance that I am hoping to retain. Or I could
just order corn seed from England.
Naomi