nafex - Re: [nafex] 2014 the year of fireblight

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] 2014 the year of fireblight
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 01:28:10 -0500

On 6/3/2014 9:23 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:
Traveling around central NC I am surprised to see so much fireblight damage. I see fireblight on apples in old, established orchards where I have never seen it before. I see it on old Bradford pear trees in people's yards, where I have definitely never seen it before, and I see it (I think), on my Amelanchier...

Bad year.

Betsy Hilborn

What is the root cause of all this increased presence of fireblight? Was it the weather, and if so, did it weaken the trees
to resistance to the disease. I would like a biologist or expert in this field to explain this.

Besides cutting out infected wood, what chemicals are most effective in combating fireblight and when should they
be applied?

Does fireblight always have the classic indicators like hooks on the ends of branches? How can one distinguish between
fireblight damage and possible cold damage? If branches show withered leaves or none at all, should they be pruned out,
or might they come back next season? If a tree produced no blossoms, can the disease still be propagated to nearby
healthy trees?

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL