nafex - Re: [nafex] Elaeagnus angustifolia

  • From: Jeff Jourdain <ravenwoodsma@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Elaeagnus angustifolia
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 05:29:54 -0700 (PDT)

To say this is a touchy subject is to say the least.  To me it's not a
question of whether a plant is exotic or not, the invasive issue is does it
take over the site/habitat.  As a forester in Western Massachusetts I can
take you to places that you can't walk through because of multiflora rose or
barberry or buckthorn.  Places where the threes have suffered significant
damage from oriental bittersweet.  How much 'good' are they doing?

Many of these 'invasives' have beneficial attributes.  Autumn olive is high
in vitamin C. Japanese knotweed is known to help with Lyme disease.  But do
miles of the Deerfield River need to have it's banks taken over by it?  What
native shrubs with beneficial attributes have been displaced by the knotweed
along the river?

Succession of old agricultural sites/fields has been going on in New England
since the late 1800's.  They did just fine then before these plants became an
issue.

These plants are here because of 'our' doing.  They were brought over and
utilized for many reasons including landscaping or 'living' fences or a host
of other uses.  They do take over disturbed or deficient sites.  If they
weren't here what plants would take over?

Where do we draw the line with 'invasives'?  Plants that are here are OK?
What about the Emerald ash borer or the asian long horned beetle or chestnut
blight or Dutch elm disease?  Or starlings? We brought all of them over as
well. What if kudzu makes it way up here?

We all have different perspectives and values.  Apples are important to many
of us on this list, but I can say in 30 years of working in the woods I have
never seen an area overrun or taken over by apples.  Even the old orchards
around old farm sites don't spread out of control.

I know we will never win the war with invasives, but I think there are sites
and habitats worth fighting for.  Instead of planting Autumn olive to
encourage it [it seems to do pretty well on its own] why not plant some of
the natives it displaced and encourage more diversity.