nafex - Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] russian olive, elaeagnus sp

  • From: "PATTY " <jrplelie@centurylink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] russian olive, elaeagnus sp
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:42:28 -0400 (EDT)

Mary,

The fruit, with seeds can be purchased from many middle-eastern grocers.
However, if there isn't one in your neighborhood then you're stuck ordering
online. With these store orders there are usually minimum order requirements
in addition to the S/H. The cost is the negative but getting to see the fruit
of what you intend to grow isn't a bad idea. The turkish and Persian/Iranian
grocers usually carry them. I have ordered from the west coast before but I
had to order 1 lb. With shipping the bill came to about 20 dollars. For 8oz
of fruit with seed it is about 6 dollars. That actually is quite a bit of
seed being that the fruit is dry and aside from the papery exterior is is dry
and cottony on the inside. Supposedly they are good to eat prior to the
drying but I haven't been that lucky, yet.

Jim Elie