nafex - Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] russian olive, elaeagnus sp

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] russian olive, elaeagnus sp
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 09:59:24 -0400

After having complications with receiving NAFEX mailings due to the
provider I was using (bounced weekly -- gave up for a bit), I'm back; using
my gmail account for email.

There is an uncommonly grown hawthorn (blue-leaved hawthorn - Crataegus
schraderiana) which is described on Plants For A Future's database as one
of the best fruits of the temperate region; hardy to USDA zone 6, it seems;
native of Greece to the Peninsula of CRIMEA.

I'm growing C. x arnoldiana cv. 'Homestead' and C. mollis (?) 'Heart's
Delight' (J. Fahey); these should be very good. According to PFAF, Ken Fern
et al., C. x arnoldiana and C. mollis should be outstanding; C. flava and
C. succulent - less so, but good; C. schraderiana should be amazing.

Unfortunately, finding a source for it has proven difficult. It's sold
throughout the United Kingdom; I can find seeds on eBay (VERY difficult to
germinate, and you don't know if the seed you get it inviable.. as is very
possible, I've found); Forrest Farm in the USA has it listed as 'Sold Out',
and has been each time I've checked over the years.

Anyone reading this post who has an interest in unconventionally flavored
pome fruits should do an online search for "Crataegus schraderiana" &
"edible". If you know where I can find a source for it, please post here
for any interested. I have a feeling this a uncommon fruit crop that
shouldn't any longer be overlooked by anyone whose growing the other
uncommon, worthwhile temperate region crops.

Thanks,

Steve