nafex - Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock

  • From: Louis Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 06:28:01 -0500

Back around 2000/2001, I grafted a couple of pears onto native cockspur
hawthorn (C.crus-galli).
Ubileen, lived at least 5-6 years, and was very dwarfed, only growing to
about 4-5 ft, before it was removed to make room for my wife's tennis
court.
An unidentified southern pear variety, grafted at the same time, is still
alive today; is perhaps 8 ft tall, very columnar with minimal side
branching, and has produced fruit - though only a couple.

Lucky