nafex - Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Crataegus as rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 23:18:02 -0400

Le 22:29 2014.03.13, vous avez écrit:
I've
been playing around for a few years with grafting pears onto the many
hawthorn seedlings coming up in my old hayfield turned orchard. I've
found that many European pears are compatible (all that I've tried actually) , though not all, and all
asians attempted have been failures. I'm not sure what the mature trees
will look like exactly, but after 3 years of growth on some, I've observed a
tendency toward unbranched cordon growth pattern with some varieties
showing very short inter-nodes. It looks like there will be a pronounced dwarfing effect. This year, I'm going to graft a bunch
with Old Home interstems so I can hopefully then graft asians too.
[snip...]

I'm curious if anyone has longer term experience to share and would appreciate any information anyone could provide.

Devin,
I did quite a few trials of pear on apple and pear on crataegus grafts some 25 years ago. I did have some of these grafts live long enough to fruit - actually it was quite a conversation piece when I got my first pears from an apple tree - people were almost shocked to see this!
However, I have to tell you that all these grafts eventually died. The longest lived was 10 years. Hence, better to consider crataegus (or apple) only as a temporary support until you get other support that would have better long term compatibility.
Sorry if this comes as deceptive for you...
Claude Jolicoeur