nafex - Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles

  • From: Steve Herje <loneroc1@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] flowering quince/chaenomeles
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 06:35:22 -0600

Most cultivars of flowering quince are not flower bud hardy in a solid zone
4. I have one that generally blooms well in my 3-4 garden but have not
found a hardy pollenizer so it could have babies. Mine's a wild-collected
high altitude Japanese form from Fairweather Gardens in New Jersey. I
haven't seen the fruit so I can't say whether it'd be a good place to start
but I'm sure our fairweather friends could tell you.

Steve Herje
Southwest Wisconsin
USDA zone 3-4 where it's barely reached -30F so far this year. Not sure
what everyone is snivveling about ;-)