nafex - Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:24:34 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Alexis,

Eight years ago I decided to go with a dog-proof fence around my orchard and
keep my old Black Lab in it most of the time. Jake kept out big varmints,
but I could never convince him that squirrels were an enemy. As Jake slowed
down I got a mutt pup that someone abandoned at our county building. Derek
grew into an 85 lb long legged dog that keeps everything out of the orchard,
except the bluejays that peck holes in the apples and pears.
I can't recommend a breed, but get a young dog that is vigorous, does not
spend all day digging holes, and teach it that squirrels are the enemy.

Jim