nafex - [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?

  • From: alexis <alexis@conev.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?
  • Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:23:07 -0500

Hey folks,
I have an orchard that is productive, but it gets cut to pieces by deer, groundhogs, and other varmits. I have tried many things, and as a result have come to the conclusion that the overall best solution is a dog.
Does anyone have any opinions about what breed is best for protecting an orchard? The ideal dog would ravenously pursue any varmit of any size, but not be too large or too barky.
Any opinions welcome.
Thanks!
Alexis