nafex - Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees
  • Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:10:20 -0600

On 12/2/2013 11:27 AM, Dr. Lucky Pittman wrote:
I've used the peanut butter/PoP bonbons on several occasions when squirrels
were digging up oak and pecan/hickory seedlings in my nursery area.
Depredation ceased immediately on all occasions.
I've never seen a dead squirrel from PB/PoP - and from my medical/physiology
background, I can't imagine how PoP would kill a squirrel - but they have
worked - at least in my perception.
However, I wouldn't count on them as a reliable deterrent against squirrels
ravaging fruit or nut crops.
Diligence in trapping/terminating or shooting the vermin is tantamount to
success.

If you can't bear the thought of terminating the bushy-tailed tree rats, so
be it. Not everyone can do it.
Far too many folks are living in a warm-fuzzy Disneyfied world, expecting
sweetness and light and 'sharing the bounty' from their wildlife 'friends';
but the critters don't understand that concept.
Maybe, someone will decide to get rid of your 'poodle-rat'.
Sticking a label on these animals does not diminish their worth.

I'm not ready to share any of my fruit with any critter, but I try
to understand we humans have invaded their turf, a two way
street. I do my best to get rid of them without killing them.
Some people kill squirrels for food, but that's another matter.

Yes, wildlife biologists do, on occasion, 'relocate' members of extant
species in efforts to re-establish them in localities where they were once
present, but across-the-board, they condemn relocation of nuisance members
of non-threatened species, for a variety of reasons which have previously
been detailed in this thread.

Lucky

By the way, I have a couple of neighbors I would like to relocate, and they
are certainly not a threatened species.

Sherwin in Morton Grove