nafex - [nafex] Lonicera caerulea (Honey Berry)

  • From: Darlene Granberg <darlene.granberg@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Lonicera caerulea (Honey Berry)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 15:20:40 -0700

I am new to growing Honey Berry and was curious as to others experiences.
If you grow it, and could give me some feedback on these questions, I would
appreciate it.

Experience from the Pacific Northwest (PNW) would be particularly
appreciated.

1) What varieties do grow and in what part of the county?

2) How has production been? Mine has been limited (although bushes are
fairly new), and I have heard they are unpredictable. Fest or famine in the
PNW?
I have gotten only a handful of berries on three bushes.

3) They are said to be disease and pest resistant. However, some research
and personal experience has shown (this year in particular - which has been
abnormally hot and dry for us), they can be susceptible to sunburn even
though they supposedly can tolerate part shade to full sun. I have also
had trouble with powdery mildew this year as well. Have you had any
incidence of pests or diseases.

My direct email is Darlene.granberg@gmail.com
Thanks,
Darlene Granberg