nafex - [nafex] Anyone know this apple?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Anyone know this apple?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 00:13:29 -0400

I know it's a long shot but does anyone here have an educated guess as to what apple variety this really is? I've mentioned this unknown apple before but now I have good pictures.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2817/10031702223_c469b953e2_b.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2873/10031703153_cf80234bde_b.jpg

It was supposed to be "922 end" the super hardy apple for the far north. I don't live so far north that I need that apple but I was curious about what it was like so I bought some scion wood (along with others I wanted to try) and grafted this one to the very top of one of my trees.

I believe the scion was mislabeled for 2 reasons:
1 It doesn't look much like the few pictures I have seen of 922 end.
2 At the end of September it is still firm and sour. It couldn't ever ripen in the far north.

This apple is not good for fresh eating unless it mellows in storage, which it might. Right now it is fairly sour and sort of astringent. I tried to eat one yesterday and had a hard time finishing half of it.

Steve In the Adirondacks