nafex - Re: [nafex] Pear question

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pear question
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 05:53:55 +0000 (UTC)

The way I understand it Ure is a selection of harbin pear material
all of which is more wild and thus more variable in nature. Wild
material carry many genetic combinations (phenotypes) and they may
show completly different results coming from the same seedling lot.
Ure may be one that is very slow to mature and is self fertile. If
you try planting several of the seeds you probably would see a few
differences like speed of growing even though the seeds are self
sown.

To understand this wild principle it might help to watch the
documentary "botany of desire" (about 40 minutes). It's quite a
good lesson about how people interfere with natural adaption of our
crops of any kind.

In other words domestic pears are isolated from the wild for many
generations from farm to farm and the result is lost genetic
differences like self pollination is only one possible example.
I also know for a fact of at least one ure fruiting tree during a
visit in Calgary a couple of years ago. The owner says it fruits
most of the time all alone. It is very hardy in a place domestic
pears will never make it because this lady lives in a very windy
part of Calgary.

Rupert.
Vancouver WA.

(bye the way Jim, two of your beach plums from seed fruited this
year for me so soon already, thanks!)