nafex - [nafex] Pear question

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pear question
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:17:13 -0500

Some weeks ago I asked of you to please explain how a pear tree (Ure) can produce fruit without a pollinator. I wondered if, somehow, it could become self-fertile and one of you answered saying that pear trees sometimes produce seedless fruit if they bloom on a warm day.
The tree did bloom on a warmer than average day however all of the fruits contain seeds! The tree is nearly twenty years old and I can't help but wonder if a pear tree can become self-fertile if it hasn't produced seeds in a great long time. Is it possible?

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, Minnesota

Zone 3