nafex - [nafex] Rubus ursinus flowering now

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Rubus ursinus flowering now
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 13:15:00 -0700

I have been observing a patch of wild Rubus ursinus (common names
California blackberry, California dewberry, Douglas berry, Pacific
blackberry or Pacific dewberry and trailing blackberry) on my lunchtime
walks. These are a mix of male or female vines. There was ripe fruit back
in early summer. Today I noticed one female vine in bloom. Is this unusual?
Has anyone seen this wild berry in bloom this late in the season?
-Mark Lee, Seattle

  • [nafex] Rubus ursinus flowering now, Mark Lee, 09/20/2013