nafex - Re: [nafex] persimmn trimming

  • From: Jeffrey Boulier <boulierinasia@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] persimmn trimming
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

Persimmons are apparently prone to alternate bearing, so that'd be my guess.

From
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/old-persimmons-trees-begin-set-fruit-61521.html

"Persimmon trees are prone to bearing biannually or having a multiple-year
bearing cycle. This alternate bearing means that you can have a large crop
one year but not see anything the following year. The next time your tree
produces fruit may be the following year or several years later, if the tree
has fallen into a multiple year bearing cycle. This is common with
persimmons. You may be able to prevent this by ensuring that you regularly
water the tree and have it planted in a protected area where it will be less
impacted by environmental stresses. However, even well-cared-for persimmons
may still not produce crops every year due to damage to the reproductive
organs or the tree's self-protection measure when it bears an especially
heavy crop."

Jeff Boulier
Herndon, VA (Zone 6b/7a)