nafex - Re: [nafex] persimmn trimming

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] persimmn trimming
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 23:05:58 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/2/2013 7:12:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jerrydana5@aol.com writes:

> I have some persimmon trees I have grown from seed and they are about 12
> feet high. No fruit yet. When should they begin bearing? And should I
> trim them to make them more fruitful? Jerry in southern Indiana

Hi Jerry,

At 12 feet they should be bearing. Have you seen flowers? Could they be
males?

I'd wait now until next spring then prune off the lower limbs lower than
maybe 5 feet or 6 ft. And prune out limbs that are crowding other limbs,
balancing out the tree.

Jerry
West central Indiana