nafex - Re: [nafex] Beach Plum

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Beach Plum
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 18:13:46 -0400

My favorite one that is producing is from Oikos and it produces good crops
of grape sized purple fruit that taste a lot like concord grapes. I love
them, but wish they were a little bigger and produce a little more. The
skins can sometimes be a little bitter, but I just chew on them til they
get bitter and them spit them out.
I'm excited because my Dunsbar plums (or is it spelled Dunbars? I've seen
both) is finally producing this year for the first time. They seem to take
a while to fruit.
I've never been too excited about the 'nana' beach plums in either looks,
production, fruit size, or flavor and don't think I'd try any more of
those. The plants are too small to produce much fruit anyway.

Does anyone know of cultivars of beach plums or have any outstanding beach
plum suckers to share? I'd offer mine up, but it hasn't suckered yet after
10+ years.
Has anyone grown seedlings and gotten fruit that were colored yellow or
red? I've only seen purple.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Dr. Lucky Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu