nafex - Re: [nafex] wrong person but maybe right answer

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] wrong person but maybe right answer
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:59:43 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Alan,

Some pears are truly self-fertile and produce fertile, seeded fruit (not
parthenocarpic). Some examples are Kieffer and Spalding. Most pears are not
self-fertile. They have an S-ribonuclease system that enforces
self-incompatibility and outcrossing. However, you raise a good question
about the gray area. There is likely a subset of pears that produce a very
small number of fertile seed without pollenization from another cultivar. I
don't know of an example, but it would be interesting to look for one.

Anton