nafex - Re: [nafex] Are Hicans Edible?

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Are Hicans Edible?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:44:16 -0500

Alexis,
Depending upon your hickory - shagbark and shellbark are preferred, most
others are not worth the effort of trying to extract nutmeats from - and
some shag/shellbark selections are vastly superior to the run-of-the-mill
average - you may find that cracking and extraction is facilitated, to some
degree, by soaking the nuts for an hour or so prior to a session of cracking
- this allows the shell to absorb enough water that it should bend, buckle
and split, rather than exploding/imploding once you reach 'critical
pressure'.
A good hard-shell nut cracker, designed for use on hickories or black
walnuts - or even a vise (I've even used vise-grip pliers with success) are
generally more effective than just bashing the nuts with a hammer, if you're
wanting to extract decent kernel pieces.
But, again, internal nut structure is quite important - some have thinner
shell than others, some have an 'open' central cavity, with fewer internal
ridges which can trap the kernel.

Lucky