nafex - Re: [nafex] Are Hicans edible?

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Are Hicans edible?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:36:03 -0500

Hicans have a reputation of being 'shy bearers'.
I have several varieties in my collection - vigorous growers (on northern
pecan understock) - but still young enough that I can't really comment,
first-hand, on productivity. A couple that I grafted back around 1998 have
been producing small crops for 2-3 years - but three which I purchased as
grafted trees, planted in 1996, have yet to show any indication that they're
ready to bloom or produce nuts.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY