nafex - Re: [nafex] Red fleshed cooking pear

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Red fleshed cooking pear
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 06:06:20 -0400

I think from the descriptions that several cooking pears turn red when cooked.

I have never seen a cooking pear in a recent U.S. nursery catalogue, except for Belle Angevine (supposed to be adequate though not best quality) from Southmeadow Fruit Gardens.

A couple of the best cooking pears by repute are Bellissime d'Hiver and Catillac. both are evidently held by members of the Home Orchard society and possibly scionwood might be obtained. The first is held by the Corvallis station. They might be willing to supply a propagator.

See
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html

An annual scion exchange in Eugene, Oregon had Bellissime d'Hiver and Catillac wood available in 2010 but not in 2013. Perhaps special arrangements could be made if there was a known demand.

See
http://springpropagationfair.com

There is a link to the descriptions in Hedrick's "Pears of New York" at

http://seedambassadors.org/avalon/pearvarieties2010.htm

Cooking pears would likely be of interest mainly to those concerned with self-sufficiency/homesteading, with a certain amount of land. For such people their reputed easy and long keeping (said to be till May for Bellisime d'Hiver, March or April for Catillac) might make them very useful.

Given that self-sufficiency may become of more general interest in a resource-short future it's a pity that cooking pears are hardly available from nurseries in North America.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada