nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 10:15:37 -0500

Mike,
You should just look it up. I did back quite a few years ago, and from what I remember, and what I have seen of plums growing, and from eating umeboshi, they would be close to ripe, meaning the first few might get a faint blush of color. They are dried in the sun for just a day or two till they start to wrinkle and yellow a bit, so that's reducing the moisture level a bit. Then they are packed in dry salt with beefsteak plant for color. That's red perilla, the Koreans use a green version, which is a weed here in TN, but the red Jap version tastes even worse. It doesn't seem to be enough to affect the flavor of the dried ume though. I'm sure you could leave it out, but knowing about traditional medicine, it probably has some kind of symbiotic effect. Nurseries sell the red perilla sometimes as red basil. Don't worry about it for now. The salt draws out juice from the ume to make just enough liquid to cover.
Years ago, when I had ordinary green plums that were falling or obviously doomed due to brown rot coming, I pickled them in very salty brine. My husband is probably a cystic fibrosis carrier, and they need lots of salt in hot weather, so he loves preserved umeboshi. I didn't know what I was doing, but they were pretty good, and the acid in the plums provided all they needed. While salt raises BP, acid lowers it. Anyway, as I have figured all along, THEY, that is the medical profession, have finally realized that salt restricted diets kill people. Duh. Why do they think cattle have to have salt? Because they eat plants (high potassium). Yet it's more likely to be vegetarian humans who think they shouldn't eat salt.
With fermented foods you really need to keep air out of the container because molds will grow on the top surface. Molds have to have air. There's too much salt in umeboshi to be considered fermented, but you should still do your best to keep air out. I do things sometimes like lay a grape or oak leaf on top of jars of stuff I'm fermenting. Plastic wrap of course is the ideal cover, but I get a little weird about plastic and foods. I still use it for making miso. If you could get a lot of perilla leaves, they could lay on top. You could try putting your plums and salt in small canning jars and buy the nice white plastic lids to go on top, or if you are smart you are keeping canning jar sized plastic lids from other products. I don't think there should be any bubbling or pressure, so you could fill them right to the top once you have some brine going. Stand the jars in casserole dishes to stop salty water from leaking till you know for sure. Best go all out and preserve the product. Then find some Japanese locals to swap with, or if you like them, they should keep for years. Hmmm... I'll bet in Japan they pickle them in wooden barrels with rocks on top of wooden floating lids, like they do miso, or like westerners do kraut. I buy up the crocks from crockpots to make miso in, but it's difficult to find saucers just the right size to cover. If I'm lucky if I can stand there in Goodwill and match the crocks and saucers on the spot. I've measured crocks at home and tried my best to get exactly the right sizes, and preferably not the kind of china with a lot of unfired clay showing, that might sop up some moisture. If you have gallons and gallons of ume, get some food grade buckets from the deli and maybe cut down some lids to cover. You can weight lids down with washed boiled rocks or canning jars full of water. I'm more likely to sterilize things with Lugol's or clorox than boiling in that sort of situation. Good luck! Ume bloom so early here that it's just a joke. Donna

  • Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Mark Lee, 06/02/2013
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] Umeboshi, Kieran, 06/02/2013