nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 06:55:09 -0700

I looked up the records for my tree. It was purchased in 2010 from Burnt
Ridge Nursery in Onolaska, WA. The variety is Kanko Bai. The Burnt Ridge
catalog says:
"Beautiful fragrant pink flowers in late winter are surprisingly hardy, and
develop into small, tart apricot like fruits that can be eaten raw, pickled
in salt or made into jam. Buds and flowers are also eaten. A small, self
fruitful tree."

I would be interested in receiving ripe seed from anyone on this list. That
would probably mean keeping a few plums on the tree longer than you would
if you are just pickling them. That is just a guess. I don't have any fruit
experience with this tree. It is producing the beautiful pink flowers in
late winter that the Anna's hummingbird buzzes by to check on when no
pollinating bugs are out yet.

As a footnote, today I learned that Anna's hummingbirds are able to survive
the winters in Seattle by, when needed, entering a hibernating state called
turpor. What an interesting little bird.
-Mark, Seattle