nafex - Re: [nafex] pollination and bumblebees

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] pollination and bumblebees
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:21:52 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/12/2013 11:42:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
list@ginda.us writes:

> I was watching the bumblebees on my blueberry bushes this weekend, and it
> looked like they were territorial! Has anyone else seen one bumble bee
> drive another away before?

Sounds to me like carpenter bees. Large bumble, the males try to drive
other males away, looking for mating rights. The males have a yellow dot in
the
middle of the forehead and they females have all black heads. Males have no
stinger, but don't pinch the female, she does. They are the ones that bore
holes in exposed wood frames, etc., in structures.

Jerry
>From list@ginda.us Sun May 12 22:54:46 2013
> In a message dated 5/12/2013 11:42:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
> list@ginda.us writes:
>=20
>> I was watching the bumblebees on my blueberry bushes this weekend, =
and it=20
>> looked like they were territorial! Has anyone else seen one bumble =
bee=20
>> drive another away before? =20
>=20
> Sounds to me like carpenter bees. Large bumble, the males try to drive=20=

> other males away, looking for mating rights. The males have a yellow =
dot in the=20
> middle of the forehead and they females have all black heads. Males =
have no=20
> stinger, but don't pinch the female, she does. They are the ones that =
bore=20
> holes in exposed wood frames, etc., in structures. =20
>=20
> Jerry =20

Thanks, I'll look both for a yellow dot and for holes in the house. They =
are very large, somewhat squarish bumble bees. There are a lot of dead =
trees on the edge of the yard, so they could be nesting there, too.

Ginda

eastern MA, zone 6